1 stalk of Brussels sprouts, cut in 1/2 or 1/4 depending on size (Race Farms)
- 1 box of Butternut Squash Ravioli (Nicola’s Pasta Fresca)
- 1/8 cup finely grated pecorino Romano
- 8 ounces guanciale or bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (LL Pittenger Farms)
1. Cook the guanciale or bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until deeply golden (adjust the heat as necessary to render the fat without burning the meat). The meaty parts should be browned and the fatty parts should be cooked but still slightly transparent. This will take 15 to 20 minutes. When it’s done, strain and reserve 2 tablespoons of the fat.
2. Meanwhile, put a pot of salted water on to boil. When the water boils, cook the ravioli for 8 – 10 minutes at a low boil.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of the fat from the guanciale to a large skillet over medium heat.
4. Sauté Brussels sprouts until golden brown and slightly tender.
5. Add Guanciale back to the pan and add ¼ cup of pasta water.
6. Take off the heat add the pecorino and stir the sauce until all the cheese has combined with the sauce.
7. When the pasta is ready, transfer it to a large bowl or individual plates and spoon the sauce over the ravioli.